ECE 3056: Spring 2016

ECE 3056: Spring 2016

ECE 3056: Architecture, Concurrency, and Energy  in Computation

Prerequisite: ECE 2035, ECE 2031

Course Objective:This course introduces the basic organizational principles of the major components of a processor – the core, memory hierarchy, and the I/O subsystem. Students gain an understanding of the sources of performance and energy dissipation in modern processors and learn the multiple forms and levels of parallelism that have been employed to sustain performance improvements in the industry. Assignments using architecture‐level simulators enable the students to explore the operation and tradeoffs in performance and energy and reinforce the concepts learned in the class room.

Texts:
Patterson and Hennessey, Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface (5th), Morgan Kaufmann, 2014, ISBN 978-0-12-407726-3 .

Course SyllabusSyllabus
Instructor: Sudhakar Yalamanchili
Contact Information: KACB 2316, Email: sudha@ece.gatech.edu, Tel: 404-894-2940
Office Hours:  M 11:30-1:00, TTH 14:30-16:00 Other times by appointment
Section TA-1:  Arish Alreja
Office Hours:  MF 4:30-6:30 pm, F 5 – 7 pm KACB 1446
Email: gtg342z@gatech.edu
Section TA-2:  Mayank Parasar
Office Hours:  MW 7-9pm, Open Space Outside  KACB 3305 (Lab)
Email: mparasar3@gatech.edu
ECE Tutor:  Jane Erickson
Office Hours:  M 12-2pm pm, VL W100

Exam Schedule:
Exam I (25%) :   February 18th, 2016, Sample-Exam-I, Sample-Exam-I-Solutions , Exam-I- Sping2015, Collateral for Exam-I, Exam-I-Solutions
Exam II (25%):  March 17th, 2016, Sample-Exam-II, Sample-Exam-II-Solutions, Exam-II- Sping2015Exam-II-Solutions
Final Exam (30%): Thursday, May 5th,  14:50 -17:40pm, Study Guide, Sample Final

Approximate Schedule of Lectures and Assignments:

Look to TSquare for distribution and submission of assignments and associated materials

Attendance: Students are responsible for all material covered in class, including changes in exam schedules announced in class. Make-up exams will be considered only if the student informs the instructor of the absence prior to the exam date, or, when prior information was not possible, immediately following the exam. Make-up exams will not be the same as the exam given in class.

Academic Honesty: Although students are encouraged strongly to work together to learn the course material, all students are expected to complete assignments and exams individually, following all instructions stated in conjunction with the exam. All conduct in this course will be governed by the Georgia Tech honor code. Additionally, it is expected that students will respect their peers and the instructor such that no one takes unfair advantage of anyone else associated with the course. Any suspected cases of academic dishonesty will be reported to the Dean of Students for further action. Additional details of the  Georgia Tech  honor  code can be found here.

Lectures and Course Material

Class Resources Page